Learn the step-by-step process of designing and developing scenario-based eLearning programs that heightens eLearners involvement and learning. This certificate program focuses on raising the level of engagement of eLearning courses and practical steps to control costs. This is a hands-on course which provides opportunities to apply ideas in your projects immediately.
Bonus Items: Participants will receive the digital version of the book:
Program Details: Scenario-Based eLearning (SBL) is a highly-interactive and high-discovery method of learning that puts the learner on the spot. They have proven to help learners learn in areas where the subjects involve risks; emotional experience; behavioral changes; decision making and judgment; in-depth technical skills; and social learning. Unfortunately, many approaches in SBL development tend to overkill SBL design – increasing costs and development time. In this session, you will learn the steps of constructing an SBL successfully, while keeping a lid on budget and time.
This program will help you implement engaging SBLs. Conducted entirely online, this certificate program focuses on effective and cost-effective design and development - practical and useful, not theories or software use.
Learn how to construct SBLs like these examples:
This is an intensive certificate program. You will meet 3 times. Each session runs for 3 hours; the first two hours being instructor-led. During the remaining one hour, you will have the opportunity to do your homework on your own, or stay online and work with/ask questions of your instructor and peers.
SOFTWARE/TOOL REQUIREMENTS: You may use the eLearning tools/software you already have. If you don’t already have eLearning tools/software, you may wish to download trial versions of Storyline, Captivate, Lectora or other eLearning tools/software of your choice. However the course does not cover how you use specific software/tools. If downloading a trial versions, please do so no sooner than the day before the course starts so that the trial does not expire before you complete any applicable homework assignments.
Prerequisites: To participate in this program, you are required to have basic Web browsing skills and have some minimal experience in participating in online events. It is recommended that you have attended an eLearning program and are involved in the design and implementation of an eLearning program.
Who Should Attend:
- Subject-matter-experts who are responsible for implementing scenario-based eLearning.
- Instructional designers who must convert content or create highly engaging eLearning.
- Designers and developers who need to add high interaction and engagement to their eLearning courses.
- Managers and leaders who must lead and manage design and development of scenario-based eLearning courses.
Author, 3-Minute e-Learning, Scenario-Based Learning: Using Stories to Engage e-Learners and Do-it-Yourself e-Learning: 100 Ways to Simplify Design and Development. Ray is the systems architect for Vignettes Learning and Training Magazine Network.
In this certificate you will learn to:
- Understand the heart of a truly engaging SBL.
- Identify where SBLs work the best in job-related learning demands.
- Create SBLs highly discovery process.
- Understand models of SBLs.
- Build powerful, engaging, and provocative stories and scenarios.
- Create SBLs that create impacts on the job performance.
- Pick the characters that match your content and context.
- Create characters to deliver the learning points.
- Construct step-by-step SBL architecture with nodes, events, conflicts, challenges.
- Construct mini-SBLs, snippets, nuggets, or vignettes.
- Determine what different types of stories to match your SBLs.
- Understand what software supports SBL development.
- Extend SBLs from simulated events to real-life applications.
- Manage costs, create a budget and plan, a documentation that becomes your storyboard and worksheet that serve as guide for the interactive and software developers.
- Make SBLs powerfully engaging, without increasing costs; making SBLs affordable.
- Select the right software for implementation.
You will also see first hand:
- A simulated SBL hands-on process
- Hands-on session in designing the architecture of an SBL, a plan that you can take back to work
- Live online demos on using software to build an SBL
Online interaction opportunities and long term online and live references:
- You will have the ability to interact with facilitators and co-participants by using the Training magazine social learning and collaboration tool.
- Online and live references of templates, exercises, demos, actual projects will be provided to you before, during and after the session.
Pre-Certificate and/or Interim Assignments:
Most certificate sessions require a minimum of 60 minutes of pre-work.
These sessions are intensive as they allow you the opportunity to select additional (optional) small projects as a "proof-of-concept".
These projects are hands-on applications of your learning ideas. These optional projects may require several hours of preparation, and are excellent ways to learn, work and kick-off specific projects.
- Understand science behind SBLs
- Discern the difference between SBLs and memorization branching
- Set-up a discovery process for SBLs and your content
- Create core engaging stories, incidents
- Set-up learning objectives, ending consequence objectives
- Build the paths and alternatives to reach end objectives
- SBL Project flow and process
- Assign exercises and workshop mini-project
- Use characters and events to add adventure and challenges
- Break patterns of thinking from old to new skill and knowledge
- Insert looping, Easter eggs, surprises and Add testing, tracking and feedback
- Share and assign exercises
- Use images, multimedia, video, virtual tools
- Review workshop mini-project
- Use SBLS in Gamification, games and exercises
- Develop storyboards, wire-frames
- Select characters and artifacts
- Apply scenarios in different content: soft skills, process and procedures, technical, compliance
- Use templates and prototypes
- Reduce costs and speed-up delivery
- Submit, review and feedback on mini-projects
2018 COURSE DATES:
Register early. This course is limited to 25 participants.
- Session 1: Tuesday, August 7, 2018
- Session 2: Friday, August 10, 2018
- Session 3: Tuesday, August 14, 2018
RAIN DATE: Thursday, August 16, 2018
The "Rain Date" is a date to reserve on your calendar. It will be used in the unlikely event that an earlier session can not run as planned due to technical difficulties or a speaker emergency.
This course is comprised of three (3) live online sessions.
Each session runs for 3 hours; the first two hours being instructor-led. During the remaining one hour, you will have the opportunity to do your homework. Instructors will provide support by email on your projects. An online collaboration tool will be provided provide you source files, demos, exercises and sharing your projects.
All sessions start at 1:00 pm Eastern Time (New York) time. Here is the time of the sessions listed for various time zones
- 10:00 am - 1:00 pm Pacific Time (PT)
- 11:00 am - 2:00 pm Mountain Time (MT)
- 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm Central Time (CT)
- 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Eastern Time (ET)
For times in other cities, visit this link. All sessions are recorded. In order to earn your Certificate of Completion, you must log in for and participate in each live course and successfully complete any homework assignments by specified deadlines. Recordings of sessions are intended for review purposes only.
2018 Course Rates:
Register early. This course is limited to 25 participants.
- Early-Bird Registration 30+ days prior to course start date: $645
- Registration within 30 days of course start date: $795
Train as a Team and Save!
For questions on group discounts, call 612.340.4742, or contact us for details.
IMPORTANT - You'll participate in online and collaborative activities in a number of ways, each designed to provide a unique means to interact and learn from experts and colleagues. All course delivery software operates at Internet connection speeds of 56.6 kbps or better, on PC, Mac and Unix platforms. Programs will use teleconferencing or VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol.) The login instructions emailed to you approximately one week prior to the start of the course will outline platform use as well as any headset requirements or suggestions. Each registrant must provide their own laptop or desktop computer and other equipment (such as a headset, if indicated in your login instructions) in order to fully and successfully participate in the course. Please test your login information a minimum of 48 hours in advance on your course start date on the computer you will be using for the course.
What Others Are Saying
Practical tools delivered in a way that allowed for immediate use. Lots of resources to learn from and use! Great interface and access to instructor along the way.
Tennessee Department of Correction
This certificate gave me a foundation that made creating scenario-based learning less intimidating and made it fun.
Social Media Training Specialist, Pepco Holdings, Inc.
The course design and instruction was impactful and engaging.
Manager, Crowe Horwath LLP
All sessions were highly interactive and thought provoking. Ray's keen wit and insight to designing interactive stories is great. It was a pleasure to be in the sessions. Thanks for helping me grow professionally!
Instructional Designer, Williams
Ray Jimenez is a professional and teaches what he learned to share his ‘Power’ of ‘Knowledge’ in moving from criterion-referenced objectives to behavioral-based learning using scenarios to which the adult learner can relate.
Training Officer, Tennessee Department of Correction
A great opportunity to stretch the brain and find ways of making a great play out of the
most boring facts.
Senior Lecturer, Charles Darwin University
Certificate of Completion and eBadge
After successfully completing your online certificate program, you will receive a professionally produced Certificate of Completion and an eBadge. eBadges are transforming how your hard-earned achievements are recognized, shared and rewarded. You can showcase eBadges in your email signature or on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.