This interactive certificate uses real world examples to explore each phase of the instructional design process from analysis, design, development, and implementation to evaluation. You will learn how to apply the ISD process in the context of your own project.
You'll work on your own e-learning or instructor-led project throughout the program and learn just what you need to produce a highly effective end product. We'll examine the business and individual needs for your training program, determine what must be taught, could be taught and should be taught, how to accommodate adult learners, instructional strategies to meet your goals, how to write good test items and more. You will receive numerous job aids and examples to hit the ground running at the end of the program.
Bonus Items: You'll receive a 101 page participant guide containing job aids, examples, worksheets and key points to remember for you to use as you design and develop your courses. You will have the opportunity to submit your project work during the certificate program for feedback by your instructor.
Program Details: Pre-Certificate and/or Interim Assignments: There will be a required one hour of pre-work and one hour for the interim assignments.
Prerequisites: Participants in this course must have completed development or delivery of at least one instructor-led, e-learning, or blended training solution.
Who Should Attend: Those on the front-line of designing, developing, writing, and delivering training through instructor-led, e-learning, and blended methods.
Senior Instructional Designer, Darryl L. Sink & Associates, Inc.
In addition to being an Associate with Darryl L. Sink and Associates, Tom is also a Professor at California State University, Chico, specializing in Instructional Design, Web Design, and eLearning Development. He has developed instructional products across many industries, including pharmaceuticals, finance, retail, semiconductor, telecommunications, waste management, and medical instruments manufacturing. His training solutions span a broad range of content areas and incorporate both traditional and emerging media.
In this certificate you will learn to:
- Develop either instructor led or e-learning modules following current approaches to using the instructional systems design (ISD) process.
- Design programs based on organizational/business/individual needs.
- Be able to conduct a content analysis to determine what must be taught, should be taught and could be taught.
- Write and sequence learning objectives.
- Create instructional designs that accommodate adult learners.
- Select appropriate instructional strategies and activities that engage learners.
- Create tests and checklists that measure learner performance.
- Conduct try-out and revision cycles following research-based strategies.
- Develop a module of instruction of your own following the principles taught in the live + online learning sessions.
Before the class: You'll be able to download a pre-work document to help you organize your project during the four sessions. You will be able to download a 101 page participant guide containing job aids, examples, worksheets and key points to remember for you to use as you design and develop your courses. For example:
- You'll have a systematic model to use to design and develop your instruction in a systematic manner.
- Using models of business need statements and program goals from real projects, you'll write your own business need statements and goals that will focus your design and content on what's important.
- Using a powerful job aid to determine what content must be taught, what should be taught what could be taught to help you decide what content is most important.
- You will learn to use handy job aids for writing and sequencing objectives.
- You'll be provided with many examples of structured learning activities that you can modify and use in your own training projects. Also you'll participate in an activity on how to debrief activities for maximum impact.
- You'll see how to use existing materials and activities to help you save time and money and avoid reinventing the wheel.
- You'll learn to use DSA's time saving job aid on writing instruction from scratch.
- You'll gain strategies for writing tests and performance checklists for evaluation.
- You'll learn about fast, easy and effective ways to try out and revise your modules and courses.
- Live, online presentations
- Examples and many useful job aids
- Facilitated, online discussion
- Performance-based exercises
- Online polling
- Individual project work for immediate application
Requirements for completing this certificate include:
SESSION 1 – Submit your business need statement and course goal.
SESSION 2 – Submit your key learning objective for one instructional module in your program.
SESSION 3 – Submit an outline of your instructional module.
SESSION 4 – Complete the post-course evaluation survey.
Expectation for receiving your certificate:
It is expected that you will attend all 4 Live and Online sessions, or view any recorded session you may have not been able to attend live.
2018 Course Dates: There are no remaining 2018 dates Click here and we'll let you know when 2019 dates are available.
Register Early! This course is limited to 20 participants
- Session 1: Coming in 2019!
- Session 2: Coming in 2019!
- Session 3: Coming in 2019!
- Session 4: Coming in 2019!
Each session is 2 hours in length This course is comprised of four (4) live online sessions. Below are the dates of live sessions for the next offering of this program.
All sessions start at 12:00 pm Eastern Time (New York time) Here is the time of the sessions listed in various time zones:
- 9:00 am - 11:00 am Pacific Time (PT)
- 10:00 am - 12:00 pm Mountain Time (MT)
- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm Central Time (CT)
- 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm Eastern Time (ET)
For times in other cities, visit this link. All sessions are recorded. In order to earn your Certificate of Completion, you must log in for and participate in each live course and successfully complete any homework assignments by specified deadlines. Recordings of sessions are intended for review purposes only.
Register early. This course is limited to 20 participants.
- Early-Bird Registration 30+ days prior to course start date: $845
- Regular Registration within 30 days of course start date: $995
Train as a Team and Save!
For questions on group discounts, call 612.340.4742, or contact us for details.
IMPORTANT - You'll participate in online and collaborative activities in a number of ways, each designed to provide a unique means to interact and learn from experts and colleagues. All course delivery software operates at Internet connection speeds of 56.6 kbps or better, on PC, Mac and Unix platforms. Programs will use teleconferencing or VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol.) The login instructions emailed to you approximately one week prior to the start of the course will outline platform use as well as any headset requirements or suggestions. Each registrant must provide their own laptop or desktop computer and other equipment (such as a headset, if noted in your login instructions) in order to fully and successfully participate in the course. Please test your login information a minimum of 48 hours in advance on your course start date on the computer you will be using for the course.
What Others Are Saying
This certificate provided me with knowledge and tools I can use immediately on the job! I researched several instructional design courses before choosing this one. They were either too long which meant application on the job would be delayed or too expensive!
Training Manager, JPMorgan Chase
The Instructional Design Certificate Program was exactly what I was looking for to gain hands-on experience with developing and designing a training program.
Freelance Instructional Designer
This course served as a "crash course" in the principles and has given me skills I can immediately apply to current projects.
E-Business Analyst, Wells Fargo
This certificate provided exact instruction to our organizational needs for developing and delivering content to our learners. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care and we learned how to care for our learners by ensuring they understand our instruction.
Campus Readiness Specialist, Stanford University
I was immediately able to apply the skills I learned.
Human Resources Analyst, Suffolk County National Bank
The course material was direct and I was easily able to relate it to the real world. I greatly appreciated the practical tools and job aids which I implemented into my job immediately. I really feel the course increased the quality of my training products.
This was an exceptional course in Instructional Systems Design and the ADDIE model. If you have a need to develop training in your workplace that will adequately transfer knowledge to your learners, this course is well worth your time.
Compliance Trainer, UT-Battelle
This course has been extremely helpful in helping me to re-structure my course. I feel that the design is more user-friendly because of its structure and alignment with the key objectives. I am actually excited about the design process now!
Professional Development Coordinator, University of Louisiana at Monroe
The Instructional Design course provided me with a fundamental understanding of course development. I experienced several "Ah-Ha" moments during the class. Support of my colleagues and understanding of my customer's needs has been greatly improved.
Manager, Homeland Security Solutions Inc. (HSSI)
Certificate of Completion and eBadge
After successfully completing your online certificate program, you will receive a professionally produced Certificate of Completion and an eBadge. eBadges are transforming how your hard-earned achievements are recognized, shared and rewarded. You can showcase eBadges in your email signature or on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.