Please Read The Following Carefully
This certificate takes you through the process of building a course for both desktop and mobile and provides you with the knowledge and hands-on practice you need to build and edit excellent eLearning lessons from scratch using Adobe Captivate. eLearning tools expert Joe Ganci will share his 34 years of innovative design and development experience to take you from Captivate basics to more advanced techniques. Through demonstration and a substantive take-home exercise, you will complete a course project using Adobe Captivate that will be compliant with SCORM- and xAPI (Tin Can). Your course will work both on desktop and on mobile devices.
See 'Technical Requirements' below.
- You’ll receive a step-by-step guide and all the media files to accomplish your homework assignment, and in the process practice what you learned in class.
- A completed version of the exercise will be provided.
- You will also receive extra example and exercise files (initial and completed) for you to continue practicing.
- A private, 30-minute follow-up session with Joe to check your homework and answer any other questions you may have about Captivate and eLearning (to be scheduled with Joe and which must be used within 30 days of course completion).
- Access to Joe's expertise through email to address questions about the course material for up to six months after the course ends.
- A link to the recording of the class session for six months after the course ends so that you can review it as often as you like.
PROGRAM DETAILS: During this certificate, you will get the opportunity to build a real eLearning lesson sample. During this process, you will learn all the features in Adobe Captivate that you will need to know to build the sample.
Important: Accomplishing the objectives of the homework assignment within 30 days is necessary for you to receive your certificate.
PREREQUISITES: Basic computing skills are necessary. A basic understanding of eLearning is helpful. This course is meant for new users of Captivate, though you may still find yourself learning new techniques and hints if you have already built Captivate courses.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
This certificate is for:
- eLearning developers who wish to learn Captivate to create eLearning.
- Instructional designers who need to know what Captivate can accomplish.
- Managers who need to accurately estimate course development time and cost.
COURSE METHODS: The online session will contain demonstrations, explanations, and discussions. You are expected to stay focused during the class so that you can ask questions and follow the process of building the course. Be sure to let others know that you are not to be disturbed during class.
Important: we will be using the latest version of Captivate. You may use prior versions of Captivate, however, there will be some features that you will not be able to access if you are using an older version. If you have an older version, you may want to download a 30-day trial of the latest version of Adobe Captivate at the following link, no sooner than the day before the class so that the trial does not expire before the class and before you do your homework assignment. You may also purchase a license to Adobe Captivate on a subscription basis.
Go to www.adobe.com/products/captivate.
Click Free Trial to download the trial.
Click Buy now if you would rather buy a license.
Please note: you may use Captivate in Microsoft Windows or on an Apple Macintosh
Please read the following to determine if your computer is capable of running the latest version of Captivate.
Note that 32-bit Windows is not supported and you must be using Window 7 or later. If you do not know if your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, see the following link:
At the link above, look for the following:
Your trial period for this software is 30 days from the time you install. Do not install it more than 30 days prior to the last session.
Main Course Objectives
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Create a lesson that will work on both desktop and mobile devices using both Flash and HTML5.
- Create a lesson for HTML5 that is responsive in nature, meaning that you will be able to create in one file specific versions for desktop, tablet portrait, tablet landscape, mobile phone portrait and mobile phone landscape.
- Create a SCORM and xAPI-compliant course ready to upload and test in your LMS (Learning Management System), the free SCORM Cloud, or your xAPI LRS (Learning Record Store).
Enabling Course Objectives
To accomplish the main course objectives, you will learn to:
- Evaluate a storyboard and be ready to develop it.
- Use text, images, animations, audio and video in a course.
- Add engaging interactivity, learning scenarios, and simulations.
- Add quizzing and software simulations.
- Personalize the lesson and add navigation options.
- Publish and test your lesson.
SECTION 1 – (90 MINUTES)
- Reading and evaluating the storyboard
- Organizing your work
- Understanding the Captivate environment
- Building an Introduction Slide
- Using Master Slides
- Using Text
- Using Images and Libraries
- Using Smart Shapes
SECTION 2 – (90 MINUTES)
- Using Video
- Using Audio
- Accessing over 30,000 Free eLearning Assets
- Creating Multi-State Objects
- Implementing Motion Paths and Other Effects
SECTION 3 – (90 MINUTES)
- Understanding Actions
- Using Buttons and Smart Shape Buttons
- Using Click Boxes
- Using Smart Interactions
- Understanding Variables
- Using Text-Entry Boxes
- Personalizing Your Lesson
- Creating a Software Simulation
SECTION 4 – (90 MINUTES)
Adding Quizzing and Advanced Techniques
- Creating Questions and Quizzes
- Pretest Questions
- Knowledge Checks
- Graded Questions
- Survey Questions
- Creating Advanced Actions
- Publishing Your Course
After the class, you will be required to accomplish your homework assignment within 30 days to receive your certificate.
2018 Course Dates:
One Online Session on Monday, May 7, 2018
One Online Session on Monday, October 15, 2018
Register early. This course is limited to 30 participants.
The course is 7 hours in length.
The course starts at 10:00 am Eastern Time (New York time). There will be a 15-minute break in the am and pm and a 30-minute lunch break starting at approximately 1:30pm ET.
See below for the time of the course listed in various time zones:
- 7:00 am - 2:00 pm Pacific Time (PT)
- 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Mountain Time (MT)
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm Central Time (CT)
- 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Time (ET)
For times in other cities, visit this link. The course is recorded. In order to earn your Certificate of Completion, you must log in for and participate in the entire live course and successfully complete any homework assignments by specified deadlines. Recordings of course is intended for review purposes only.
2018 Course Rate:
Register early. This course is limited to 30 participants.
- Early-Bird Registration 30+ days prior to course start date: $845
- Regular Rate within 30 days of course start date: $995
Train as a Team and Save!
For questions on group discounts, call 612.340.4742, or contact us for details.
IMPORTANT - You'll participate in online and collaborative activities in a number of ways, each designed to provide a unique means to interact and learn from experts and colleagues. All course delivery software operates at Internet connection speeds of 56.6 kbps or better, on PC, Mac and Unix platforms. Programs will use teleconferencing or VoIP (voice over Internet Protocol.) The login instructions emailed to you approximately one week prior to the start of the course will outline platform use as well as any headset requirements or suggestions. Each registrant must provide their own laptop or desktop computer and other equipment (such as a headset, if noted in your login instructions) in order to fully and successfully participate in the course. Please test your login information a minimum of 48 hours in advance on your course start date on the computer you will be using for the course.
What Others Are Saying
Captivate training with Joe Ganci provided me tremendous value-added tools, tips and techniques that will save me time and my company resources and money.
Corporate Trainer, SVA Certified Public Accountants
The program was excellent! I learned so much about what I can achieve utilizing Captivate in a rather short period of time. Joe Ganci is an exceptional trainer; patient and thorough, and he provided a wealth of knowledge.
Principal, Kann Succeed Enterprises
Joe Ganci's training is easy to follow and I love the fact that he welcomes immediate interaction among the group.
Stores Training Developer, Bon-Ton
My company had asked me to use Captivate to create our online training material. I am usually pretty good about learning software on my own, but struggled with Captivate. Now that I have taken the course, the program makes so much more sense and Joe's practical everyday uses of the system really helped me to understand how the program works and all the wonderful functionality it offers.
Senior Business Skills Trainer, Chiltern
It was a worthwhile class. Joe Ganci was clear, concise and willing to look at our work between classes. He's someone who understands teaching!
Clinical Education Specialist, Covenant HealthCare Laboratory Services
I took this course for my own professional development so that I could learn not only Captivate but the basic principles of eLearning. Joe Ganci was a great instructor and I learned a tremendous amount! I look forward to taking more of these online courses in the future.
I found this certificate to be exactly what I needed. Joe Ganci provided me with a foundation for using Captivate and I was able to learn more on my own. I have already produced training simulations that my organization found very valuable.
Training Officer, Clinton Savings Bank
Certificate of Completion and eBadge
After successfully completing your online certificate program, you will receive a professionally produced Certificate of Completion and an eBadge. eBadges are transforming how your hard-earned achievements are recognized, shared and rewarded. You can showcase eBadges in your email signature or on social media sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.